Go with a hybrid hosting strategy, urges ecommerce video specialist Invodo in YouTube for Commerce, a free downloadable ebook it recently released. What’s a hybrid strategy? It means posting videos on YouTube to reach a wide audience, as well as with an online video platform (OVP) that specializes in ecommerce to gain sales.
There are a lot of OVPs on the market, but not all of them have tools for selling with online video. In the book, Invodo offers these tips for companies looking for a sales-oriented OVP:
- Look for e-commerce tools, such as built-in A/B testing or the automatic creation of a product page.
- The ability to create customized calls-to-action directly on top of a video (using an overlay or other interactive elements) makes the video feel shoppable.
- Search engine optimization tools are key to gaining viewers. Look for the ability to index website product pages with hosted videos for some searches and YouTube pages for others. This gives more SEO traction than only indexing one site.
- Index your videos so that search engine visitors are linked directly to a product page or whatever other page you want them to visit.
- While every OVP offers analytics, some include sales-focused measurements. Look for metrics that help you guide customers through the sales funnel, from views and time watched KPIs (key performance indicators) to purchase and sales KPIs.
To read much more on taking a hybrid strategy to online video sales, download YouTube for Commerce for free (registration required).