Outrigger Media just released its 2014 report on the top 500 brands on YouTube, and the results are required reading for anyone looking to engage, inform, and entertain customers on the world’s biggest video site.
Outrigger is an online video data and analytics company, and it uses its OpenSlate video analytics platform to track over 160,000 ad-supported YouTube channels, measuring their success at attracting and engaging viewers. Here are the top five brands on YouTube this year, as measured by OpenSlate:
Aside from ranking the top performers, the 2014 Outrigger report lists five brands to watch, and says why they’re climbing the charts quickly:
• Audi of America: The luxury car maker is committed to creative, original content, says Outrigger. Recent work included a “doberhuahua” and Ricky Gervais.
• Target: The retail giant’s YouTube channel has something for everyone, and includes TV spots, instructional beauty and home improvement videos, decorating and entertainment tips, and movie and music clips. It even has a playlist just for Spanish-speaking customers.
• Dell: The best technology channels offer a mix of storytelling and product videos. Dell does this, and organizes its videos into well-defined playlists.
• The North Face: This sports clothing company succeeds by creating videos that capture the outdoor spirit of its customers. It offers content for endurance athletes, outdoor enthusiasts, and even weekend warriors.
• Cover Girl: Beauty videos are huge on YouTube, and Cover Girl rides that wave with how-tos and makeup advice. Celebrity brand ambassadors such as Pink, Katy Perry, Ellen DeGeneres, and Sofia Vergara help bring in viewers and spread the message of female empowerment.