Need proof that social networking is crucial? Facebook was the most visited site in the United States in 2010, beating out Google. It has over 500 million active users who spend over 700 billion minutes per month on the site.
To help get you started, Unicast, a Texas-based ad agency that specializes in video advertising and rich media, has prepared these five tips:
- Tag your social network accounts on whatever videos you launch: Nowadays, if people like your work, they want to check out your Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube accounts to find out more about you. Make it easy for them by including links.
- Use the right icons: When you link to your social network accounts, use the correct icon (such as the blue-and-white Facebook F). Include calls to action, telling your viewers what you want them to like or tweet.
- Keep it brief: If you’re asking viewers to post a pre-written brand message to their Facebook or Twitter account, keep it as short as possible. Use a URL-shortening service, like Bit.ly.
- Be careful when using viewer’s tweets: Adding an automated scrolling tweet tool on your site, such as one that shows mentions of your company or a certain hash tag, is fun, but negative tweets can sneak in. Be sure to edit out any unflattering tweets before they post.
- Work with companies that understand social media: When looking to boost your online results, choose to work with companies that have strategies for all the major social networks.